Maccabee's Wars

A venting rage against the ills of our society with some hopeful observations.

Friday, April 28, 2006

Waiting in the Hotel Lobby

I had hoped to meet some friends on Shabbos Chol Hamoed but I fell asleep sitting on a couch in the Dan Panorama hotel. When I awoke, sitting nearby were an elderly couple from Tel Aviv.

In my broken Hebrew and their broken English, we were trying to have a conversation.

After an hour and a half, I learned that the gentleman had fought in Italy in the Jewish Brigade of the English Army, had fought in the War of Independence and helped liberate and retrain countless number of Jews who survived the Holocaust.

I was taken on a world wind tour of Jewish History at the dawn of the creation of the State of Israel. Reliving history through the spoken words of someone who was there sure beats second hand tales.

In some small way, I guess that’s what reliving Yitzias Mitzrayim is all about.